What do you want out of retirement? The freedom to roam? Relief from all the responsibilities of owning a home? Time to pursue self-fulfillment? Exceptional services and amenities? No matter how you perceive your desired retirement lifestyle, take a look at some of the ways a luxury independent living community like Ganton’s Countryside can meet and often exceed your desires.
- Supports Independence: Long careers, raising families and owning a home are all wonderful life achievements, but are not amenable to a carefree lifestyle. If you look forward to retirement as a time of freedom and independence when you can do what you want and come and go as you please, consider independent living. In independent living, the choices are all yours to make, whether that’s traveling, pursuing hobbies, or just relaxing and enjoying the freedom to do absolutely nothing guilt free.
- Promotes an active lifestyle: Staying active and staying healthy go hand-in-hand and while household chores offer one way to stay active, there are much better options. Active independent living communities let you ramp up workouts, join clubs and interest groups and embrace activities that are hard to get at home. Take a look at how independent living promotes an active lifestyle in our blog, “What Is Independent Living?”
- Offers “rightsize” housing choices: In retirement, downsizing to a smaller home can be a very “freeing” move. Whether that means an apartment, condo or villa, independent living options offer all the benefits of a beautiful modern home to rent or own that includes 24/7 maintenance and repair, lawn care and seasonal services like snow plowing, and year-round security so your home is safe even when you’re away.
- Includes resort-like amenities and services: Top independent living communities take pride in the amenities and services they provide. From onsite hair salons and barber shops to movie theaters to fitness centers to a full roster of daily activities, these amenities make daily life a joy. Now imagine having bi-weekly housekeeping, linen and towel services, on-call maintenance, free on-campus transportation, weekly waste removal, and utilities provided and it makes for a pretty nice retirement scenario. Find out more in our blog “Four Wonderful Things to Expect in an Independent Living Community.”
- Provides daily social opportunities: Socialization is key to aging well so independent living makes it a priority with planned outings, cultural and spiritual programs, workshops, interest groups, seasonal parties and events and many other ways residents can get together and build those relationships that are so important to both physical and mental well-being. Learn all about why socialization is so important in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention article, “Loneliness and Social Isolation Linked to Serious Health Conditions.”
- Includes amazing meals: It wasn’t long ago that the food in senior living communities was known to be less than wonderful. Far less. But thankfully, those days are gone and top independent living communities now provide nutritious, chef-prepared meals that rival the best restaurants. Of course, these truly amazing meals are served in a beautiful formal dining room as well, making every meal an occasion, or if you prefer you can enjoy a casual snack or meal in the Bistro, or prepare meals yourself in your own modern kitchen. In short, you choose the meal plan that fits your preferred lifestyle and desires.
- Offers you great value: Although it’s a common misperception that independent living costs more than living at home, the truth is that you may actually save money with a move. As noted in our blog, “Independent Living Value vs Cost,” when you consider everything that is included in the monthly fee, plus the freedom, privacy and fun of life that a luxury independent living community provides, it’s easy to see how it may be a perfect fit for your desired lifestyle.
- Safeguards against future needs: Finally, one more aspect of independent living you may not have considered is that once you join a senior living community, you can move seamlessly to a higher level of care such as assisted living or memory care without having to leave the community you have grown to love. So, why not prepare for the future while embracing the present and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing should the need arise, you will be at the top of the list.
At Ganton’s Countryside, we strive every single day to make independent living an active, fun-filled and healthful lifestyle. For more information about Countryside, please call Margaret Nagel at (517) 206-5000 or download our brochure to learn about our care levels, cost, and amenities.